Expat's Voice Advert
Home Forum Articles Ask An Attorney Games Arcade Our Sponsors Our Petition
Welcome guest! Have we helped?
separating bar
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Go Back   Expat's Voice > General > Lifestyle
Oregon firefights lose jobs to Spanish speaking bosses

Forum section: Lifestyle - Discuss lifestyle issues, such as food/drink. hobbies, sports, etc.  -  Use English only please.

Lifestyle Discuss lifestyle issues, such as food/drink. hobbies, sports, etc.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 AM     #1
byjove
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: UK
byjove is on a distinguished road
Default Oregon firefights lose jobs to Spanish speaking bosses

I was sent this as a fox news story on video, as I cant post video here I tracked it on the web.

Oregon firefights lose jobs to Spanish speaking bosses.

http://asiseeitnow.wordpress.com/200...eaking-bosses/

The state of Oregon is enforcing it’s language requirements on the fire crews who fight the wild fires raging through the State. If you were thinking logically, you would have come to the same conclusion that I would have, that being that all personnel hired by the State would have to learn English in order to communicate with the superiors and be a more effective employee of the State and the tax payers. Wrong.

We forget that these are the days of political correctness, inclusiveness, tolerance and willy nilly laws against any hint of racial profiling.

“The state said all bosses must speak the same language of their crew on the fire lines for safety reasons. They want to make sure that the leader of the crews can quickly communicate during an emergency if the fire turns or if there is another problem on the fire lines.”

“If you have one Spanish guy on the crew, as an English crew boss, you can no longer be a crew boss. You have to step back to a squad boss, which is a demotion,”

The problem is that 85% of the firefighters of the Oregon Department of Forestry are Hispanic and do not speak English. The State did not answer the question as to why they did not require the crew to learn English. So, some of the older crew bosses have to take a demotion where in the past they may have supervised 20 firefighters, they now are demoted to a lower level crew chief of only 4 or 5 English speaking crew members. A demotion mind you. You have worked hard over the years to get to the level of a crew chief of 20 or so other firefighters. You passed up some other people because of your diligence, and acquired knowledge of how to extinguish those raging forest fires, and how to manage a crew to get the best out of them in difficult times, and then this happens, you get demoted because one member of your crew speaks Spanish.

The only eyes that deem this as being fair are government bureaucrats, liberal politicians and the loony left.

What are these people thinking? Don’t give me this safety first baloney. You saw this developing and rather than change the hiring practices, which might upset the other loony left as being racial profiling, you bureaucrats at the head of the Department of Forestry chose to placate the left wing civil rights groups, and let your own workers be dammed. Burn fires burn. Aim toward the offices of the Oregon Department of Forestry.

Sickening.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:22 PM     #2
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

Kriz1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oregon firefights lose jobs to Spanish speaking bosses

That is sickening...no other word for it...

It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis.
Kriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:10 AM     #3
Susie
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: London
Susie is on a distinguished road

If anything they should be made to speak both English and Spanish fluently,

Please note I am not a lawyer but want to be so this is just IMHO
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:11 AM     #4
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

Why Spanish...no need for it...this is an English speaking country...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM     #5
grumps
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: kettering england
grumps is on a distinguished road

they should all be made to speak english before they are employed.
grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM     #6
byjove
[Expat's Voice Team]

I though 1 of the rules to being a US citizen was that you had to speak English? And to be employed by the fire services, surley you have to be a US Citizen? WHAT GIVES????
Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 PM     #7
kirtida8
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: Indian born, but UK is Home
kirtida8 is on a distinguished road

If all the Hispanics in the fire dept. are legally here, then surely they should be able to speak English????? Makes absolutely no sense to me and surely is racial profiling by the back door? What about the victims of the fires - surely they need to understand the instructions firefighters shout out to them? Or are they saying that they too are hispanics???

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Ralph Waldo Emerson
[SIGPIC]
kirtida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM     #8
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

I was worried about that too Kay...what if your kids are in a fire and they don't understand the firefighters...its madness...if there are too many just spanish speakers in the area that too is maddness...

Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM     #9
grumps
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: kettering england
grumps is on a distinguished road

perhaps that is why it is so difficult for us to get visas to stay we do not speak spanish
grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:49 PM     #10
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

My great aunts both born in France lived in the UK most of their lifes...they spoke English very well but never used it in the home...we all had to speak French at their home...unless the upstairs maid was in the room...English was always used in front of people who did not speak French...

Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 PM     #11
OberonSH

OberonSH is on a distinguished road

I always make a point of at least learning the basic 'please, thankyou, where are the toilets' whenever I go to a non-English country, I find it only polite. However if I was to live there I would have to learn the native language properly. As great as a melting pot is, there should be some standaridization - the doctors who saw me through the butchery that was my last birth experience couldn't speak English very well and as being exhausted and high as a kite, I also got very frightened as I didn't know what was going on, or what they were telling me.

I think it's crazy that the politicians tiptoe around the fact, and play it softly softly in case they get accused of racism - surely it's not racism to ask that someone coming to live & work in the country should speak the language. I remember there being an uproar when it was revealed how much the NHS spend on translating information into a million different languages (could have funded a fair few hospitals) However, under the new rules, skilled workers at least have to learn English - hopefully that includes the emergency service staff!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 PM     #12
byjove
[Expat's Voice Team]

how long will it be before the goody brigade say having to learn another language to get a job as a nurse/doc/healthcare assisant is against their human rights and back down the john it goes again!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM     #13
anniefromessex

Homeland: U.K.
anniefromessex is on a distinguished road

Not wanting to appear racist here but totally agree - going off topic a bit cos I'm not that good at starting a thread but there was an item on the news tonight whereby so many Afghans had come across in a lorry, they were pulled up in Norfolk (I think it was), the Authorities there informed Immigration and they said there was no-one to assist and to let them find their own way to a central Immigration Centre in London. Needless to say, they cannot find them!!! One lot is blaming the other lot, saying that is the criteria, omg just wants you to give up in the end doesn't it. We might just as well lie down and die, England and America deserve each other - they are both as lily livered as each other - the only way as far as I can see is for there to be a massive revolt, there and here - but we are all as lily livered as the rest of em.

Love Anniexxx
anniefromessex is offline   Reply With Quote