Expat's Voice Advert
Home Register Forum Articles Ask An Attorney Games Arcade Our Sponsors Our Petition
Welcome guest! Have we helped?
separating bar
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Go Back   Expat's Voice > General > Science, Technology & IT
Spammers

Forum section: Science, Technology & IT - Discuss issues about science, technology and computers.  -  Use English only please.

Science, Technology & IT Discuss issues about science, technology and computers.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM     #1
chris

chris is on a distinguished road
Default Spammers

This morning I came across several postings which were obviously from numbnuts. I reported them as spam. However what ticked me off was the damn inbuilt time delay which stops from reporting spam posts until a given time delay has taken place!!
I use other forums and have to reiterate what has been said by others, that this site is either being attacked OR it's design is such that it leaves itself wide open to numbnut spammers.
That said, the moderators are doing their best, but is the site owner? At one time punky would have been on it like a dog in heat, but all we hear is silence. Have the owners given up and it's left to the volunteer moderators to spend their time, clearing up someone else's mess??
Anybody like to respond? If you're a numbnut spammer, go play in the road instead, preferably the fats lane of the I-95.

I truly think that if this spam issue is not addressed properly, it will simply sign the death sentence for this forum as genuine posters will simply be put off. I think that is happening already.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 PM     #2
byjove
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: UK
byjove is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spammers

Chris mods are doing there best to catch them before they even finish registering but a few get through and usually overnight when it is not so closely guarded. I hope Punky will sort this out it does appear to be an annual thing.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM     #3
Susie
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: London
Susie is on a distinguished road

Many thanks to our mods who do a sterling job, due to ill health I am not on the site as much as in the past but hope to become more active asap

A special thanks to Byjove and Kris who have deleted hundreds of spam before it hits the site especially over the past few days

Please note I am not a lawyer but want to be so this is just IMHO
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM     #4
Tina
Permanantly Banned

Tina is on a distinguished road

Agree with Chris. I go on several other forums too and they don't have this problem. And I'm sure most members are also thinking the same thing.....where are the site owners?
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM     #5
Tina
Permanantly Banned

Tina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Many thanks to our mods who do a sterling job, due to ill health I am not on the site as much as in the past but hope to become more active asap
Was posting at the same time, lol. Sorry to hear you've been unwell Susie. I'm sure members look forward to hearing more from you
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 AM     #6
GLORIA GRAY

Homeland: ENGLAND
GLORIA GRAY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post

A special thanks to Byjove and Kris who have deleted hundreds of spam before it hits the site especially over the past few days
Sorry to hear that you have been unwell As the first person to help me when I first found this site and to have given me so much good information I feel as if I know you. Get well soon
GLORIA GRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM     #7
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

Kriz1 is on a distinguished road

Got up this morning to a ton of spam..I'm not well right now so I have more time to try to catch them but it is a full time job..this does seem to happen the same time every year..I think by the bio's and posts its the same person or group most of the time..we are also having a lot more real people looking in..if not joining..

It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis.
Kriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM     #8
chris

chris is on a distinguished road

I think we all get spam by the bucketload. Is there anyway we can all send our spam to this numbnut who sends the forum spam!!!! Perhaps when they are deluged by all our spam he/she might stop it and get back to school!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM     #9
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

I have no way of doing that Chris if I did I would ..the biggest problem in this forum unlike others I've been a mod in.. is that admin posts are counted as posts when we remove a member or spam another post members can't see is added..if that did not happen then it would look like we had little if any spam..one good thing is more real people are finding us because the group looks very active and the search engines are all over us which makes us easier to find..a double edged sword if spammers are finding us too I know..but we have had a lot of interest over the past few weeks lets hope people get the info they are looking for and maybe join to say hi

Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 AM     #10
Susie
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: London
Susie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
This morning I came across several postings which were obviously from numbnuts. I reported them as spam. However what ticked me off was the damn inbuilt time delay which stops from reporting spam posts until a given time delay has taken place!!
I use other forums and have to reiterate what has been said by others, that this site is either being attacked OR it's design is such that it leaves itself wide open to numbnut spammers.
That said, the moderators are doing their best, but is the site owner? At one time punky would have been on it like a dog in heat, but all we hear is silence. Have the owners given up and it's left to the volunteer moderators to spend their time, clearing up someone else's mess??
Anybody like to respond? If you're a numbnut spammer, go play in the road instead, preferably the fats lane of the I-95.

I truly think that if this spam issue is not addressed properly, it will simply sign the death sentence for this forum as genuine posters will simply be put off. I think that is happening already.
Unfortunately, where there is a will there is a way. We will never stop them all I will speak to punky to see if he can help. Punky and mods are volunteers and I know Punky has a full time job with long hours and a second job too

The mods do a sterling job of deleting as much spam, as possible before it hits the site. My sincere thanks goes out to all of them. Due to my health I am not on here as much as before but I do lots in the background to help others, especially those who prefer to e-mail me rather than post.

Please note I am not a lawyer but want to be so this is just IMHO
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 PM     #11
CAbound2010

CAbound2010 is on a distinguished road

as ive said in my other post mods etc can do something about this, and if they say they cant their telling fibs! plain and simple!
I must have joined or be joined to at least 8-9 forums immigration and non immigration and I have never come across this problem like i do here.
its ridiculous
CAbound2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM     #12
byjove
[Expat's Voice Team]

byjove is on a distinguished road

CAbound!!! Do you really think if we had control we wouldn't do something? DO you think we LIKE having to sit here and keep refreshing our browser on the forum page to catch these scum bags as they sign up, all day WHILE I AM TRYING TO RUN MY OWN BUSINESS? Mods only have the power to ban these people not site management. I resent being told I am "fibbing" . Do you think we get some kind of kick out of seeing these pricks sign on and even TRY to get involved in conversations? You are well mistaken. We are ALL (mods) trying our best to get to them before they get to you. But some slip through. Do not open even 1 of these PM's. just delete it.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 PM     #13
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

Thanks Chris for taking time to point out the spam..both me and byjove try to get here early to remove it and the others take over if we leave any..but it is becoming a full time job and it seems they have found a way passed the catchya's..

Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM     #14
Carl

Carl is on a distinguished road

What has happend to Susie and Punky?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM     #15
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

I will be phoning Sue later ..she is not very PC clever...lol and I have no idea where punky is..Sue was going to ask him to look into the site..to be honest with all the interest we have had on the site over that last two weeks..pages of guests not all spammers ..it would be a good idea to revamp the site..or even move it to a new system...one good thing about all the actively is we are easier to find..the down side is spammers find us too..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 PM     #16
anniefromessex

Homeland: U.K.
anniefromessex is on a distinguished road

Blimey CABound, I agree with you about the other sites not showing so much spam (or at least numbers of postings then not showing anything like that) but to blame the Mods is a bit unfair to say the least. They do the job out of the goodness of their hearts and the way it is going it must be a full time job as Byjove said. Personally I wouldn't open anything in my PM Box without knowing it was from somebody I trusted and as for anything else, I did see the site going downhill a bit a while ago but it seems that people have started posting again so here's hoping it becomes the site it once was.

Well done Mods.

Love Anniexxx
anniefromessex is offline   Reply With Quote