Expat's Voice Advert
Home Register Forum Articles Ask An Attorney Games Arcade Our Sponsors Our Petition
Welcome guest! Have we helped?
separating bar
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Go Back   Expat's Voice > General > Science, Technology & IT
Microsoft Outlook.

Forum section: Science, Technology & IT - Discuss issues about science, technology and computers.  -  Use English only please.

Science, Technology & IT Discuss issues about science, technology and computers.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 PM     #1
British Redneck

Location: We live in Poinciana ten miles to the south of Kissimmee.
Homeland: London (well, Totteridge, really), England
British Redneck is on a distinguished road
Default Microsoft Outlook.

Yesterday morning at work, I tried to open up my email and got a message I'd never seen before to the effect that Windows could not open Outlook because of an unknown error. I tried one or two things and after restoring my system back in time by a couple of days I was up and running again. Then, mid-afternoon, it happened again but this time restoring didn't work nor did anything else I tried. I spent the next couple of hours on the phone with my favorite geek while she fiddled about in the guts of the machine via logmein.com and all to no avail. We gave up and I disconnected the box and took it to her shop. After about six hours work today, she's baffled. Outlook will not open and there's nothing she can do to reverse this catastrascope! Needless to say she gave me a thorough tongue lashing for not backing up! Has anyone out there got a clue as to what might have happened?

Everything else seems to be working fine but I've lost a couple of years worth of archived emails and, more importantly, my address book which includes customers, vendors, family and friends.
British Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 AM     #2
Susie
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: London
Susie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Microsoft Outlook.

Not sure if Punky has the time or willing to assist, but worth sending him an e-mail or private message

He can fix my computer from virus's even though he is in the UK and I am in the uSA

Please note I am not a lawyer but want to be so this is just IMHO
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM     #3
chris

chris is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert on Outlook at all, but aren't emails archived by the email account provider, ie yahoo, etc. That's why you can access your emails from any pc. They would not be saved on your pc, unless outlook works differently to my understanding. Have you tried accessing your email,account from another pc?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:19 PM     #4
InnVic

InnVic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I'm no expert on Outlook at all, but aren't emails archived by the email account provider, ie yahoo, etc. That's why you can access your emails from any pc. They would not be saved on your pc, unless outlook works differently to my understanding. Have you tried accessing your email,account from another pc?
outlook does work differently - you have the e-mails downloaded on your pc so you can work off line (which was great when everyone had dial up but not so useful now)