Expat's Voice Advert
Home Register Forum Articles Ask An Attorney Games Arcade Our Sponsors Our Petition
Welcome guest! Have we helped?
separating bar
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Go Back   Expat's Voice > Expats > European residents
Sold!

Forum section: European residents - People from all countries currently residing in Europe  -  Use English only please.

European residents People from all countries currently residing in Europe

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM     #1
anniefromessex

Homeland: U.K.
anniefromessex is on a distinguished road
Default Sold!

Hi guys, just want to let you know that we have now sold our Florida property, thereby ending 21 years of Florida ownership!! We close Monday/Tuesday and to say that we are ecstatic is an understatement; the property was becoming a millstone round our neck. We had some wonderful times both before and after we moved over but the relief now is tangible.

It has been a bit of a roller coaster ride, but thanks to our Realtor - a member of this forum (UK2FL) who I would recommend to anyone, has taken the stress out of it as much as he could - but I think has now turned to drink (lol) and is now bald!!! Thanks Paul.

In many ways it is a sad time - we have made many friends in our 21 years but the t-shirt is bloodied and there is no way that Ted would ever set foot in the country again. Sad but true and just the way he feels about it - he still has nightmares of our time in the airport in Nassau (I don't think either of us will ever forget that) - and the damage it has done to our family, but hey all in the past now and we just have to move on; I think the sale of our property will be the starting point (hopefully)!!!

Anybody who wants a Realtor who goes above and beyond, pm me!!

Well thats it folks. I will still log on to see what is happening over there and I really hope that the Visa debacle (especially for E-2ers) gets sorted out by the likes of Zoe - one dedicated lady - it wont be for the want of trying.

Love Anniexxx
anniefromessex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 PM     #2
peter gold
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: London
peter gold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sold!

Well done and good luck to you both Peter
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM     #3
anniefromessex

Thanks Peter, hope you are your good wife are enjoying life in St Augustine. Ted and I really enjoyed our weekend up there - really nice place, although we did enjoy our day with you when you very kindly hosted a leaving do for us. Lovely day and great memories!

Love Anniexxx
Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 PM     #4
byjove
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: UK
byjove is on a distinguished road

congratulations on the sale Annie. It has now closed a chapter for you, and a new ones is in the making. If you get pennies left over from the sale, make sure you do something memorable with a portion or buy something nice. =)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 PM     #5
anniefromessex

Hey Byjove, yes got some money earmarked for things we haven't been able to do since coming back; funnily enough our 42nd anniversary is Tuesday so will be able to celebrate two things - I hear Champagne popping!!

We have lost a lot of money but really we are just thankful to have sold at all - and in a comparatively short time. Feel sorry for all those that haven't been able to sell!

Now onwards and upwards as they say LOL!! Hope you are all doing okay.

Love Anniexxx
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM     #6
Tina_2

Tina_2 is on a distinguished road

Oh Annie that's wonderful news. I'm so pleased for you.

And you are right about Paul, he's one of a kind.
Tina_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 AM     #7
kirtida8
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: Indian born, but UK is Home
kirtida8 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Annie and Ted you really deserve some good news after so long. Have an extra glass of champagne from us on Tuesday and may good fortune continue to be your companion.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Ralph Waldo Emerson
[SIGPIC]
kirtida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM     #8
JulieC

JulieC is on a distinguished road

Oh thats great news Annie. What a weight off your mind. Do you mind me asking whether the sale was to a resident or as a holiday home ( I know it was Kissimmee) and also when you say you have lost a lot of money do you mind me asking how long you had owned the house, did you buy when prices were at a high?? Just wondering how the market is there now, whether it is improving any.

By the way I am not sure Paul is a member of this forum, he is of others.
JulieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM     #9
Susie
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: London
Susie is on a distinguished road

Wonderful to hear your news, now life really begins. I have often thought about you and Ted and glad you can now start a new chapter,

Any ideas of what or where you would like to go. I often think fondly of the little caravan we used to own at Walton on the Naze, We have fond memories of happy family times

How are the family in OZ ?

Please note I am not a lawyer but want to be so this is just IMHO
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 PM     #10
anniefromessex

Thanks guys for all your comments. Just found out that closing will be on Monday, yippee!!

Julie, we have sold to an American couple (I think Paul said the guy is 80), they come from Michigan I believe and had been staying in rented accommodation on our development; I think they are going to be snowbirds from what I can gather. Our home was built for us in 2000 and we moved in when we did our usual 6 month stint in the December of that year. We didn't pay a fortune for it - prices at that time were reasonable, we had owned our previous home for 10 years at a time when you were lucky if you made much money from the sale (in fact we only made $5,000 in 10 years) LOL. At one time we had this property up for sale when our kids were living over there too as we all wanted to move to Eustis and it was up for $289,000 -crazy really but really wish we could have sold at that time!! In all honesty I suppose we have lost about $40-50,000 but it could have been worse -our debacle over there cost us many many thousands of dollars more than that - hence we are paupers now and any and all contributions to our fund would be appreciated LOL!!!

Susie, we are staying put in Clacton - really got used to it here now and it is great to be able to walk along the front (which is only a 5 minute walk) in all weathers. We are in the posher part (LOL) and our bungalow is huge so not looking to spread our wings anymore - will just enjoy holidays and weekends away. None of our family have fared too well in the immigration frenzy so are now all back in the UK and making the best of life over here (the grass isn't always greener) and in many ways can cause a lot of hearbreak and upset (it certainly did with ours)!!! When the weather is good over here there is really nowhere better in all honesty, we have found so many beautiful places since being back and the countryside is amazing, so really all well in our world especially having sold our home over there and now we can just concentrate on our life here and look back with our own fond memories of something that wasn't meant to be - for us.

Love Anniexxx
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 PM     #11
JulieC

JulieC is on a distinguished road

That isnt too bad then. Seems a lot I know, but could have been worse, we bought at the high in 2007 and managed to lose $140,000 on ours. I had a vacation home before that which I sold in 2005, made a bit on that one. I looked at the price on Zillow a couple of months back and it was worth about $20,000 less than I paid for it in 1997.

Hope you enjoy a few luxuries now with the extra money that has been released, Annie, as you say a few nice holidays, lots of nice places to go to in Europe. You are right about the UK being as good as anywhere if you have the weather. April was just beautiful.
JulieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 AM     #12
GLORIA GRAY

Homeland: ENGLAND
GLORIA GRAY is on a distinguished road

Hi Annie. good news that you have finaly sold. You were such a support to us when we were having problems getting here.... I hope you enjoy Clacton we went there often when we lived in Bury st Edmunds before we went to Spain.....Being retired we have no problems here as we have our pensions and don't have the worry of e2 ect. We are near to our daughter and our only grandchildren which is the reason we came in the first place. Good luck and enjoy east anglia
GLORIA GRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:35 PM     #13
dip your toe
Gullible Mad Orater

dip your toe has disabled reputation

Congratulations. Must be a great weight of your mind and go a long way towards bringing some sort of closure on your emmigration nightmare.

Upwards and onwards from now on eh?

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
dip your toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM     #14
anniefromessex

Gloria great to hear from you and I am sooo happy that things are now working out well for you. Tbh I think being retired over there is very different to working and having to deal with the bureaucracy. Like I said about our realtor I think sometimes you feel like tearing your hair out because it seems that no-one bothers to get back to you, if they do say they will turn up 9 times out of 10 they don't (I know many of you on here experience that on a day to day basis), but probably like it all over the world now - oh for the good old days haha!!

Good luck Gloria, know how much grandchildren mean so understand all your reasons for wanting to be near them.

Dip your toe, definitely onwards and upwards now thank God!!!

Love Anniexxx
Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 AM     #15
britcan

Homeland: Canada &Poole, Dorset
britcan is on a distinguished road

Well done Annie- thats a big relief for you- I understand the mixed feelings though! xx
Old 05-25-2011, 03:15 PM     #16
Carl

Homeland: UK
Carl is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Annie, I am glad it has worked out for you in the end.

Carl