Expat's Voice Advert
Home Register Forum Articles Ask An Attorney Games Arcade Our Sponsors Our Petition
Welcome guest! Have we helped?
separating bar
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Go Back   Expat's Voice > Immigration > Immigration news & articles.
"Central Florida Visa Services" owner arrested.

Forum section: Immigration news & articles. - General news and articles that refer to either type of immigration.  -  Use English only please.

Immigration news & articles. General news and articles that refer to either type of immigration.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM     #301
JulieC

JulieC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Central Florida Visa Services" owner arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip your toe View Post
Wow. nine years in jail and $750,000 in restitution, lets hope justice is done at last and those who lost their life savings can at least get something back. Mind you didnt he once claim he had forgotten where he had put the money because he had hit his head??? Anyway thats one scumbag off the streets, one still out there to go!!
JulieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM     #302
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

Kriz1 is on a distinguished road

Lets hope he finds himself a boyfriend to keep him company

It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis.
Kriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM     #303
chris

chris is on a distinguished road

Does he serve 9 years or is that likely to be less with good behavior? I seem to recall he got let out early last time.
Lets see, if he does serve 9 years he'll be 70. He then has to pay back 750,000 GBP according to the Daily Mail. If he declares bankruptcy, then I can't see how they can get anything out of him.
Of course, I'm sure that once he's out his memory loss may come back to him as to where the millions are hidden, which I am sure they are. Feds need to keep a close eye on the rest of his family and their lifestyles.
As for a boyfriend, I'm sure he's already skilled at hunt the soap with Bubba from his last sentence.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM     #304
kirtida8
[Expat's Voice Team]

Homeland: Indian born, but UK is Home
kirtida8 is on a distinguished road

This is fantastic news and gives me some hope as I am at the deposition stage with my lawsuit. It has been a long and hard struggle and I can fully empathize with all his victims even though my families losses far exceed the total of all of them. Chris - I sure hope that he cannot simply claim bankruptcy in order to get out of paying restitution.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Ralph Waldo Emerson
[SIGPIC]
kirtida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 AM     #305
kirtida8
[Expat's Voice Team]

Just checked and Court ordered restitution is not covered by bankruptcy so whilst Doug Hall could file - the restitution would still have to be paid!

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Ralph Waldo Emerson
[SIGPIC]
Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM     #306
charliesmum
Permanantly Banned

Homeland: England
charliesmum is on a distinguished road

Couldn't believe some of the comments on the Mail Online - if people don't know a situation properly, they should refrain from saying anything.

Very glad for this outcome for the people who were used by this guy.

Zoe
charliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM     #307
telco

telco is on a distinguished road

If restitution is anything like the Legget(royal Development) payment ($2 per month per victim) you may be waiting a long time to get anythign back.....
telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM     #308
JulieC

JulieC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Does he serve 9 years or is that likely to be less with good behavior? I seem to recall he got let out early last time.
Lets see, if he does serve 9 years he'll be 70. He then has to pay back 750,000 GBP according to the Daily Mail. If he declares bankruptcy, then I can't see how they can get anything out of him.
Of course, I'm sure that once he's out his memory loss may come back to him as to where the millions are hidden, which I am sure they are. Feds need to keep a close eye on the rest of his family and their lifestyles.
As for a boyfriend, I'm sure he's already skilled at hunt the soap with Bubba from his last sentence.
Early release time is apparently decided on a state by state basis. Some states give 33 percent off for good behaviour but according to the link below you have to serve a minimum of 85% of your sentence in Florida so he is going to be gone a while.
http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/ho...to-391290.html
JulieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM     #309
Carl

Homeland: UK
Carl is on a distinguished road

If it is any consilation, a good friend of mine is a Human rights Lawyer, he says that Florida prisons are the worst in the country, so no holiday for him.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM     #310
byjove
[Expat's Voice Team]

byjove is on a distinguished road

is he a citizen?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM     #311
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

I never read the comments on the Newspaper..some people are too stupid for words..

Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM     #312
kirtida8
[Expat's Voice Team]

Quote:
Originally Posted by byjove View Post
is he a citizen?
If you are referring to Doug Hall - he is a USC by birth if I remember correctly.

[SIGPIC]
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM     #313
chris

chris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byjove View Post
is he a citizen?
Yes he is a US citizen.
We had the misfortune to deal with him when we first came over. He was partnered at Govoni & Hall. Hall came from the Polk County tax collectors Department and his wife worked at the County Attorney's offices in Bartow. They were well known in the area. He is a very 'charming' person and can understand folks being taken in by him.
I remember when he had his bike accident (he was actually given the last rites at the hospital). Soon after Govoni parted company with him and he set up on his own.
I find it impossible to believe that wives are in the total darkness about what their husbands do, so please excuse me if I find it difficult to believe that she and maybe others in the family didn't know what was going on. You cannot misplace $3 million just like that. It is unlikely to be cash and would have been electronic transfers to a bank account here in Florida. There is a trail somewhere. He said someone in the office took the money???? It is not rocket science to identify those that worked in the office and interview them.

It smacks of Ernest Saunders ex boss of Guinness, money scandal back in the 80's. He was found guilty of his financial crime to do with investments and shares in Guinness, went to prison and was released early because he managed to convince them he had developed alzheimers. Post release, he is the only person EVER to have beaten the condition and returned to normal. The missing money there was never located.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM     #314
janine

janine is on a distinguished road

OMG!! i so wish i hadnt read some of the messages on the mail comments. People should know the whole story before they post stupid unhelpful comments.
janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM     #315
lxh11

lxh11 is on a distinguished road

I want to be sensitive here, as obviously people have been conned by this man, and I don't understand the intricacies of this, but handing over $150,000 upfront seems incredible.

We hired a lawyer to get our GC's before arriving, and every step of the way, we had paperwork and receipts to show how our our small payments were being used (filing fees, ad fees etc.) Final payment was made upon GC being in hand.
lxh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM     #316
Kriz1
[Expat's Voice Team]

I think the large amounts are payment for a company..getting a GC and an E2 visa are different..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM     #317
Carl

Carl is on a distinguished road

I beleiove G*v*ni is still up to his tricks. seen alot of people who should have had L1 be pushed into E2 by them.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM     #318
kirtida8
[Expat's Voice Team]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxh11 View Post
I want to be sensitive here, as obviously people have been conned by this man, and I don't understand the intricacies of this, but handing over $150,000 upfront seems incredible.

We hired a lawyer to get our GC's before arriving, and every step of the way, we had paperwork and receipts to show how our our small payments were being used (filing fees, ad fees etc.) Final payment was made upon GC being in hand.
lxh11 - when applying for an E-2 visa as opposed to a GC, you have to front the money for the business purchase which is supposed to go into an escrow account held by the visa attorney. Unfortunately for the victims the money "vanished" from the escrow account which was set up by Doug Hall a visa consultant not attorney. You may think that the victims should have known that only actual attorney's and broker's can legally set up escrow accounts in Florida - but I can almost guarantee that most people don't know this who live here so how could someone who doesn't know all the complexities of US law know that? Besides, Hall went to these expos with companies that had brokers that told them that money in an escrow was safe and could not be removed without their consent, so how were they to know that the money was not in an actual escrow account? It is all well and good for people to judge with the benefit of hindsight - but remember that most victims did not have access to this site or others like it at the time this all happened so they would not have been able to have the advantage of getting this vital information which could have swayed their decisions and saved them heartache and financial ruin. There are times when no amount of due diligence is going to help avoid every scenario imaginable so always say a prayer because there for the grace of God go you.

[SIGPIC]
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM     #319
charliesmum
Permanantly Banned

charliesmum is on a distinguished road

Whether you know or think the person is reliable and trustworthy, the reality is that the money has to be in a US Escrow Account before you apply for your visa.

You have no choice in the matter.

The only choice you have is who to use as your Visa Attorney, Broker or whatever. If people are recommended to you, then you would probably trust that choice. Doug Hall and the other guy who scammed people for as much if not more money, had good reputations up till the time they decided to take the money for themselves. Whether that was a conscious decision to gain people's trust, who knows.

I really don't think any of the negative comments on the papers or on other places should be taken seriously - they are made by people who don't know the full story, so just ignore them.

Zoe
charliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM     #320
lxh11

lxh11 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for explaining.
lxh11 is offline   Reply With Quote